A well-designed pond requires little maintenance but seasonal cleanings are a very important aspect of owning a pond. The most important cleanings are the spring cleaning and the fall cleaning.
Pond Cleaning can be a labor intensive and dirty process, which includes:
- Removing fish and safely keeping them for the duration of the cleaning
- Carefully removing and hydrating the plants
- Draining all the water
- Removing excess organic debris, knows as sludge, muck, and slime
- Cleaning filter media
- Replacing and dechlorinating the water
- Acclimating the fish and plants to the new water conditions
The key to keeping an all-natural water garden in check is general ecosystem maintenance.
The five elements of your ecosystem all need to be balanced in order to insure that everything is working smoothly. They are:
- Mechanical and Biological Filters
- Pumps and Plumbing
- Rocks and Gravel
- Aquatic Plants